Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I tried a $5 dinner but got a $15 dinner

Last night I tried a recipe I found on the blog $5 Dinners, I believe that is the name, I modified it a little bit but under any circumstances was it a $5 meal. We really only have one true grocery store which is H.E.B. so there is a grocery monopoly so we do not have double, triple or any offers such as $5 dinners does but I still wanted to make the Roast. I also made a couple of sides.

Pork Roast
3 pound pork roast Braise first
3 slices of bacon
2 table spoons Strawberry jelly
2 cups beef stock
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup red wine

I put all ingredients in a crock pot. Pork, bacon on top, jelly then wet ingredients then salt.
Cooked it on High about 6 hours.

"Rice Roni" Home style

2 table spoon butter
1 cup rice
1/2 cup broken (1 inch Pieces) spaghetti or linguine
liquid from roast skim off fat
add water to roast liquid to make 2 1/2 cup liquid
pinch of salt

In a sauce pan brown rice and pasta in butter
add liquid and salt. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.

Black Eyed Pea Style "Squash Casserole"

1 medium size bag squash approximately 1 pound thawed
1 egg
1 cup bread crumbs, day old bread, sandwich bread, plain stuffing bread whatever you have
2 table spoons sugar
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 pinches of salt

Mix all ingredints together mash up squash a little if you can in the mixing bowl if not don't bother to get more stuff dirty.
Pour all of it into a greased casserole dish and bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes.

Almond Cookies

Sugar cookie mix
1 egg
1 stick butter
1 table spoon almond extract
1 small package sliced almonds

Make cookie mix according to directions except I don't melt the butter fist, cold butter makes fatter cookies, add extract. roll in to 1 inch balls dot tops with almonds and bake according to directions. I always end up with 2 dozen cookies.

This was a good meal, I would have preferred to serve a green veggie with it maybe a salad but I did not have it so, it did not happen. But my husband said "That Meal was worth blogging about" so I take it as an endorsement. The meal cost around $15

No comments:

Post a Comment